Day 6 (Tarzan Swing and Departure)

Although we had already spent our first night “offshore” we were anchored just a couple hundred yards off of the tiny island of Pangaimotu.

The crew rigged the whisker pole as a Tarzan swing into the water and we spent the morning practicing dives. Diego took a swim out to the shipwreck closer to shore and got some photos of that and us swinging off of Fidelis from afar. Back flips were easy off of the swing, as your momentum carries you around. I managed a bunch of 180s and some almost 360s. Front flips were a little more challenging, but I managed to master the 180. From a high perch in the rigging it was a pretty good swing.

Connor was a little cautious at first. I had to push him off of the boat. He was really mad at me for a few minutes, but he eventually came around. He first did a couple of swings while riding piggy back with me, and then started taking his own trips from deck level. We tied a loop in the rope so he could put his foot in it and I could just pull him up out of the water onto the deck. Connor loved this part of the trip. He had wanted to do this on Sunday, but having fun was expressly forbidden, and the water wasn’t so clean in the harbor. This location was perfect.

Later we readied Fidelis for the open ocean and headed out in the early afternoon. Within the first hour we saw a mother and calf humpback dancing on the water. It was quite a sight to see, even from about a mile away. The mother was coming mostly out of the water vertically, falling on her back. The calf was hard to see, more of a spray than anything.

Not too long after we looked back and saw Mahi Mahi in its colorful glory leaping into the air of the port stern. We had hooked it on one of the three lines we put out during the days. A single catch feeds the crew for days, and we had been working on Mahi Mahi that was already a few days old, but still very good. But we were looking forward to pulling this one in. We got it alongside the boat and then had some navigational issues and managed to get it up by the starboard bow. Not too long after it appeared to have bit the line, parting it at the leader. No fresh Mahi Mahi, but we figured the next one would be by any minute. No such luck. We hoped for a Tuna, and saw skipjack after a couple of days, but we didn’t get another bite for three days.

Connor was doing his homework below decks and started to feel sick. He remained that way for the next two days, but eventually came out of it. Despite being sick he ate a big fish dinner from the previously caught Mahi Mahi. He really started to like fish on the trip, which was nice to see. Unfortunately most of this Mahi Mahi was quickly returned to the sea off the port side.


About evoskuil

#libbitcoin lead developer
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s